Woolshed Falls : Sunday, July 30

Eighteen walkers decided to make the most of their day with a walk to the Woolshed Falls in Beechworth. The later meeting time of 9.30am in Wangaratta gave some a chance to sleep in, while others had an opportunity to lock up their stray dogs who made an early morning escape. Jeanette has now learnt to securely lock her backyard gate.

The Wangaratta contingent, including first time walker with the club, Kerryn, met other walkers in Beechworth at the Powder Magazine car park. The Powder Magazine building was built in 1859, and housed the gunpowder which was used during the prosperous mining days in the area.

Walkers hit the trail at about 10.30am, and rather than follow the sealed road to the turnoff for the falls walk, we opted for a short detour through the bush on a walking trail.

Despite not having an abundance of rain recently, Spring Creek was flowing well, and an opportunity to look at the Cascades provided some photographic moments. We continued along Spring Creek through to Reid’s Creek Goldfield site. It was along this section that some mines were observed, which required more close attention.

It is difficult to believe that thousands of miners worked in this area, hoping to strike it rich. Today we try our luck with Lotto and poker machines, and get to keep our hands clean in the process. The walk was at a leisurely pace, except for Ted who was his usual bundle of energy, and he couldn’t help himself by plunging into the shallows of the creek.

Upon arriving at the Falls, lunch was taken at a number of the tables. There has been noticeable improvements in the picnic area at the Woolshed Falls, and it is now quite the lunch spot.

After lunch, a short walk to the cliffs over the Falls was undertaken. Walkers then proceeded down to the Falls for some more photo opportunities, and a group photo shot.

The return walk was back the way we had come. It was here that walkers were reminded of what leads you down, must then be tackled as an ascent. Strenuous for some, it was capably managed by all. Fortunately we passed two SES men in full gear as part of their training, who could have provided any necessary resuscitation, and rescue lifts to anyone who needed it.

Once back at the car park, the usual welcomed refreshments provided by Pat were eagerly consumed. The unhurried walk of 11km was completed in four and a half hours, and it was pleasing to have good numbers on this local walk.

[Michael Braendler]

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.